PERU PROJECT TOUR 2020
Join Green Empowerment on an incredible journey to delve into the culture and communities of Peru. Open only to our network of supporters, this project tour will provide participants with an exciting opportunity to visit long established projects as well as new projects and partners across a broad range of technologies and communities.
This unprecedented opportunity allows guests to see the impact of our long-term projects (over ten years in the making!) as well as new partners and communities at the very beginnings of building their health and energy programs. The stories and photographs you have seen from afar only scratch the surface of this dynamic and complex work. As a champion for environmental health, you will have an unparalleled opportunity to learn about the complexities of renewable energy by meeting the very people most in need of it, so that you can become an informed and effective advocate.
Learn more about our programs in Peru here.
Tour Dates: April 27, 2020 -May 2, 2020
6 days, 5 nights
Group: space is limited to 8-12 guests
Visit communities where we installed Micro-hydroelectric Systems in the early 2010s to learn about how communities have maintained these systems over time and the impact that energy access has had in their lives.
Visit community that is currently implementing Water-pumping Systems for Irrigation to improve crop diversification - another approach that Green Empowerment has supported in Peru, Bolivia and Nicaragua.
Visit rural health clinics that now have access to renewable energy via the Energizing Rural Health Clinics project. Lack of energy access limits a clinic's ability to refrigerate vaccines, sterilize equipment, manage communications and documentation, treat water, and have basic illumination.
Visit Improved Cookstoves Projects where, for the first time, we helped fund local parts manufacturers, established a network of community-based promoters and trained installers to develop the local market and drive community adoption of clean cookstoves
Visit sites where we have worked on the Healthy Schools Initiative to provide renewable energy, satellite internet, safe water, and adequate sanitation, thereby improving working and learning conditions and student and teacher health, reducing rates of absenteeism, and increasing student achievement.
$2,750 per person or $5,500 per couple
- Trip Leaders: Caitlyn Peake and Kristen Cashmore
- Local bi-lingual guides and expert-led enrichment programs
- All accommodations in-country
- All activities mentioned and entrance fees
- All private transportation with the group the whole time
- All meals mentioned in the program
- Transfer from Jorge Chavez International Airport
- An extensive pre-departure packet/welcome kit, preparing trip participants to travel
- International airfare to and from Lima, Peru.
- Gratuities for guides and drivers
- Personal expenses such as souvenirs, snacks, and alcohol
- Extras in hotels (laundry, phone calls, room service, etc.)
- Costs associated with changes to your itinerary for reasons beyond our control
- Travel Insurance (we have had good experiences with and recommend Wanderwell)
- Travel vaccines (Information regarding health and travel risks in Peru can be found at the Center for Disease Control website at http://www.cdc.gov/travel or at the World Health Organization website at http://www.who.int/en/).
Ready to Sign Up
Your $500 deposit is due by February 21, 2020. The remaining trip balance will be due by March 31, 2020.
The deposit is non-refundable unless the program is canceled, at which point the entire deposit is refundable.
If you have any questions about reserving a spot on the trip, please contact Kristen Cashmore.
Space is Limited! Join us today:
Still have questions? Get in touch with us to learn more!
Concerned about carbon emissions?
All of Green Empowerment’s programs strive to reduce carbon emission by improving access to affordable and renewable energy for rural communities. This would not be possible without your support.In the last three years, travelers on our tours have directly contributed to our programming in countless ways from displacing diesel emissions to helping communities protect and enhance their watersheds. If you are concerned about carbon emissions from your flight, we invite you to speak with us on the trip and discuss ways to offset your footprint and bring renewable energy to more communities in 2020.